I’ve decided to concentrate the next few posts on the Lemon family of Goulburn. There are two good reasons to do so. The first is that I am finding a wealth of information within the newspaper articles listed in Trove. The second is that my great aunt, a Lemon from Goulburn, turned 90 this year and I would like to have it finished for her to see.
I am hoping it will have the added benefit of sorting the family in my own mind. This post will primarily list the members of the family. As I write biographies for each individual, I will update this page with the relevant links. For now, I have added links to obituaries that I have found within Trove.
The story of the Goulburn Lemons begins with Robert Lemon and his wife, Margaret (nee Oliver). According to Robert’s death certificate, the family arrived in NSW c 1865. Robert and Margaret had nine children:
- Mary Jane Lemon (known in the family as Jane). 1861-1948
- James Thomas Lemon (founder of the J T Lemon store in Goulburn). 1865-1919 (obit). Married Mary Jane Faulder in 1889 (obit). They had seven children:
- William John Lemon. 1867-1942 (obit). Married Abenia Pinn in 1892. They had four children:
- Lina Doris Lemon. 1893-1966
- Nellie Lemon. 1896-1896 (died at 12 weeks)
- Harry Marcus Lemon. 1897-1961
- William Ernest Lemon. 1903-1977
- Robert Lemon. 1869-1937 (obit). Married Florence Mustard in 1897. They had four children:
- Clara Lemon. 1897-1922 (obit)
- Harold William Lemon. 1902-1955
- Dorothy Mabel Florence Lemon. Born 1905
- Amy Olive Lemon. Born 1910.
- Samuel Henry Lemon. 1872-1912 (obit). Married Mabel Curtis in 1902. They had two children:
- Thelma Maud Lemon. 1903-1919
- John Lemon. 1904-1975
- Charles Lemon. 1871-1871
- George Charles Lemon. 1875-1918 (obit).
- Margaret Amelia Lemon. 1877-1950. Married Richard Stephensen in 1898. They had one child:
- Marjory Stephensen. Born 1899
- Lesley Thomas Lemon. 1879-1956. Married Lillian Russell in 1910.
- Lloyd Lemon. Born 1910
- Oliver Lemon. Born 1915
- Warwick Lemon. Born 1916